19 August 2008

Helpful Household Tip # 1

Apparently a birthday isn't all I have in common with Martha Stewart. According to a couple of my friends, I am one organized woman. And it's true. You know those "get to know you emails" that you see every so often? I received one the other day. One of the questions was, "What do you usually eat for breakfast?" My answer was, "Mondays: toast; Tuesdays: instant oatmeal; Wednesdays: english muffin; Thursday: yogurt; Friday: banana bread; Saturday and Sundays: sugary cereal!" You think I'm kidding. That's right; I even plan my breakfasts. Why? Because it's easier than having to think about at 5:45 in the morning.

While I don't advocate this level of organization for every person, I thought I'd share some of the things that I do to help keep my house organized.

Today's tip: The Chore Calendar.
I use a free one sent to us from a realtor, but any yearly calendar will work. I like using the yearly calendar rather than just a weekly calendar because I can use it for the everyday things as well as the not-everyday things. For example: the batteries in the smoke detectors. I know we changed them when we moved into the house in June, so I wrote on the calendar, at a date six months later, that they'll need to be changed again. Also, the air filters. They need to be changed every three months, so I mark down those dates as well. And what about turning those mattresses? If I only had a weekly calendar, special projects like these would never be accomplished simply because I'd forget them. The monthly calendar also lets me keep up with chores that are done monthly. These monthly jobs include: laundering the towels, vacuuming the couches and books on shelves (they get really dusty if I don't), cleaning the cars, and washing the inside of the washing machine (my machine has a cycle specifically for this).

The extra mile: I used to color code who did what by varying the color of the pen I used to write on the calendar. Chuck's jobs (trash, bathrooms, and some special tasks) were written in blue while mine were in pink. However, it only works if your husband actually looks at the chart, so I stopped doing this. Instead I just tell him that he has a chore to do and usually he'll do it.

Helpful or no?


10 comments:

Taste of Champaign said...

I soooo used to do this!!!! Then I had four kids...

I love it about you, Erin!

I know I'll get back on track as the kids get older...right?

Chris said...

Okay...wanna know what is really funny!

I just came here from Linda's blog and starting reading...TOTALLY thinking I was still on Linda's blog until I hit Chuck's name in blue and then I was confused...I was thinking...did she start this as a child? did she mistakenly write Chuck instead of Jessen

Oh yes Linda...you and Erin are very much alike indeed!

Chris said...

oh and yeah right Linda...keep dreaming!

lys said...

I do this too! If I get all my chores done over the span of two weeks, I get a reward. I know, a clean house should be a reward enough. . . but it's not. . . ;)

emily said...

wow, you're good.

holly b said...

I rely on people like you (and my younger sis) to come up with brilliant ideas like this. :)

Sandra said...

I have to agree with your other friends. You are very organized and your house looks beautiful because of it. Thanks for the helpful tip.

Nicole said...

I love it! One day I will hire you to organize something of mine!

Niederfam said...

You have to change your air filters?????? ;) Kidding, kind of!! You are AMAZING!!! THANKS for the tip!

Stephanie said...

I think this is a good tip. I need to get on a more regular chore routine so it doesn't all pile up like it normally does.

What I want to know is this - since you have banana bread every Friday, does that mean you bake very Thursday??? :)