18 January 2007

Guess Who's Back...Back Again...

Well it has finally happened. I'm back in the classroom again. Last night marked the first night of class. I had the usual nervousness associated with the first day of school. My stomach was filled with the obligatory butterflies; my armpits filled with the obligatory sweat. (Nice, I know.) But once I got going, there was no stopping me! Discuss the syllabus---check! Discuss sampling---check! Make a lot of silly jokes at which I was the only one laughing---check!

I had been extremely anxious about last night, almost to the point of dreading it. I have a lot of things going on and all of them are causing me stress. But now that that one thing is over, I am a lot more relaxed and feel like I can get the rest done. (Can it please be Sunday afternoon already?!)

The class is an introductory statistics course, just like I taught at BYU. In fact, the textbooks are almost identical, which has made planning really manageable. The one bad thing about this course is that it is taught from 8:10 p.m. until 9:55 p.m. And, as many of you know, I go to sleep early, and I get up early. However, driving the DC roads after class last night proved to be no problem. In fact, I was at home and in bed by 10:33 p.m. In fact, I think I might actually like this time as it enables me to come home after my "day job," run, eat dinner with C, and then go. It's going to be much better than anticipated.

In addition, this is a "small" class for me. As I'm used to the 200 students per lecture, a classroom size of 28 is going to be really lovely. The students are young (no "continuing education" students nor graduate students). In fact, I have only one senior and five juniors. The classroom is obviously much smaller, and I don't think I'm going to have to "yell" as much as I did at BYU. Hopefully this means less sore throats.

In six words: I'm back in the saddle again.

(By the way, I posted on our Google page some new shots from our trip to Colorado. Check out the "home page" link to the right to see them.)

3 comments:

Gretchen said...

Congratulations! Now the big questions ... do you go by "Mrs. Huband", "Erin", or "Professor H"? Always such a tough call. Unless of course, you go with the always popular "Master Erin".

Camie said...

I'm so excited for you. And I checked out the homepage....you are too much. You're like June Cleaver and Murphy Brown all rolled into one. Plus you're smaller...it's amazing!

Niederfam said...

GOOD FOR YOU!!! I can't wait to be "back in the saddle again" although mine involved ultraego junior high punks, but man sometimes I miss them!!