18 January 2007

computer geek or just plain nerd?

Given that this blog is titled "c and e" or "candy" as e likes to call it, I figure it is about time for me to surface and actually say something. The only problem is, that when it comes to blogging, the whole thing is still too new for me.

About a year ago we were visiting r and a (this whole first letter instead of name thing e has going on will take me a while) a said something that I didn't quite understand. He talked about putting something on the blog. All I could do was think to myself, "what the blank is a blog?" Apparently I had missed the whole blog movement. In a single moment my perception of myself had been shattered.

My undergrad degree is in Computer Science and until that moment I really felt as though I was a total computer geek. But then I realized something, if I had missed out on blogging, were there other computer trends out there that I knew nothing about? Sure I can program (although I am sure that has evolved a ton since I graduated) but is that really enough to call myself a computer geek. I feel as though to truly be one, you have to be immersed in computer culture. I clearly am not. I feel like George Costanza when he had to take the IQ test. People think that I am a computer geek, but alas, it isn't the case.

I guess the only thing that I know for sure is that I am at least a nerd.

4 comments:

Gretchen said...

Chucklas, don't be disheartened. Even those of us whose job it is to know the new technology trends can't keep up. Let alone adopt everything. I spend all damn day reading TechCrunch, and still feel like I've missed the boat. Don't worry, you'll always be a geek to me! :-)

emily said...

i'm glad you joined the blogging the world. i'll be looking forward to your nerdy posts.

Camie said...

At some point I stopped thinking of you as a computer geek and started thinking of you as a math nerd....maybe it was when you married e.

RNAi said...

HERE'S TO THE NERDS! Hurray!