02 November 2007

What I've Been Up to Lately

People are amazing. I recently found this whole wide world of crafters and their blogs. I used to think I was pretty good at what I do, but these people completely humble me. For example, take the Sew, Mama, Sew blog. Starting yesterday and continuing through the end of November, they are daily posting links to tutorials that people have created and placed on the internet. How cool is that?! I can't wait to see all the fun things that people have done.

A few weeks ago, I found a crafty blogger who was hosting a "Fall Swap." How it worked is that I signed up, was assigned a swap partner, created at least one homemade gift, packaged at least three total gifts, and then mailed everything to my swap partner. This swap partner, in turn, was doing the same thing for me. Sounds awesome, right? Well, maybe...

When I signed up, I was super excited about it. But then I went into ultra-stress-case mode, and I don't generally get stressed. What if she didn't like the things I make for her? What if I really suck at this sewing thing after all? What if my package is the lamest of all packages? And then I was hit with creators block. Sure, I have a bunch of things in my portfolio, but how to make them fall-themed? And why not use this time to try something new? It was all so scary.

Finally I was able to narrow down what I wanted to do. (I can't reveal what I did yet; I mailed the package on Wednesday and want to make sure that my swap partner sees it before everyone else does. But don't worry, I'll post pictures here sometime next week.) And now that it's over, I can't wait to do it again. Anyone want to join me?


P.S. I think my office is the only one in the entire universe where no one brought left-over Halloween candy. Honestly people. Sheesh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea! I am so excited. I am amiling mine out today... I still have to take pictures, but I am so excited... and don't worry... your package is not going to be the lamest of the lame... mone is! Just kidding. I hope you like everything.

Did you end up signing up for the Winter Swap thing?

emily said...

your package is absolutely wonderful and if your partner (nicole?) does not like it - she can send it my way. hehe. :) i know she will love it.

so i would love to do the winter swap thing but i would have absolutely nothing crafy to make that would be "nice." too bad. are you doing it?