26 October 2007

It Was Bound to Start Soon

More than three days out of five, Ron and I share the same Metro train from our jobs to home. He is a 50-something year old man who sports a funny mustache--belonging more in rural South Carolina than suburban D.C. With his three kids, past divorce, and motorcycle-driving lifestyle, we don't have much in common. He started talking to me one day when he noticed that I regularly beat him through the turnstiles at our destination. When I revealed to him that my victory is due to riding in the back of the fourth car so I can ride the escalator as opposed to his front-of-the-second-car-and-then-stair-taking that gives me the edge, well, I apparently opened myself to being his friend. We don't chat every day, but enough.

One day last week, before even saying hi, he approaches me and asks, "Are you with child???"

Is it that obvious?


10 comments:

Amber said...

That was pretty daring of him, don't people know to never ask that question? You don't look big yet at all...and congratulations!! I guess I missed the announcement post, that's great!

Meg said...

Well, since I know it is obvious, but I would never guess someone who didn't know to think you were. Maybe you just have the "glow". Some people are really tuned into that. You look good though and really cute prego. I just look "thick". Not exactly the look I was hoping for.

emily said...

i love it, "are you with child?" who says it like that these days!?

and, DANG, that man is good. i would never have said that to you if i didn't know.

btw, you look very cute.

Ruth said...

I would never have said something because you really don't have that prego look yet, at least from this picture.

erinmalia said...

i know, i think the phrasing of his comment was sooo strange! i'm just ready to start really looking pregnant. this stage is just awkward.

and megan, i have too much baby-induced acne to have that glow. unless maybe that's what he noticed.

Deanna said...

Congratulations! Well, I don't think it's obvious! Definitely very daring of the man. I keep my mouth absolutely silent until there is NO doubt at all or someone tells me.

Gretchen said...

Maybe I'm not hip to the "pregnant look" but you don't look prego to me at all.

And is chuck standing on a chair to take that picture? Or is he just really tall? haha

erinmalia said...

well he is about 11" taller than i, but i think he was just aiming the camera down.

Niederfam said...

NO it is NOT that obvio9us, he was risking it, BIG time....but I'm glad he was right, it could have been worse...maybe he noticed you reading up on "parents" too!!! :)

lys said...

I know I'm a little late, but I wanted to congratulate you! From what I understand you are just a few weeks ahead of me in your pregnancy!