02 March 2007

Flashback Friday

I decided to post some things that weren't necessarily current events in an attempt to reconcile my lack of journal writing; here's my first go.

I started running a little more than four years ago. But I'm not sure that many of you know why. Probably you think I was just tired of being overweight, just a few pounds shy of having an "obese" BMI. However, that's not altogether true. I was in my last semester of grad school, planning on making a move back west. I was also hoping to get a job teaching at the university level. Here comes part one of why I started running: The thought of being in front of students in my overweightedness was really not appealing. I didn't want to be the poor, single, stats teacher who was probably poor and single because she was overweight. So I started running and then I wasn't overweight anymore (although I was still poor and single). That part isn't so embarrassing.

What is more embarrassing is part two. I had made plans to do some traveling over the summer (this is why I was poor). One trip would take me to D.C. (where C and I began our amour), one trip to Canada to visit the deported, and another trip to my brother's place in Alaska. Knowing that my brother was constantly surrounded by about a million outdoor boys, and knowing that these millions of outdoor boys are generally quite attractive (nay, I'll say it...HOT), I didn't want to be overweight and out of shape when I was there. I certainly wasn't looking for some summer romance, but I did want to be one of those cute outdoor girls, as much as possible. And I knew there weren't that many girls in Alaska. So I started running. And I haven't stopped since ( but not in the Forrest Gump sense though).

I wish I could say that I started running for health or for some other admirable reason. But nope. Strictly vanity.

3 comments:

chucklas said...

Yet you want me to run for health reasons...so not fair!

emily said...

very good chucklas!

Meg said...

Hey, I say any reason is good for me. I wish my reason could be because I like it. I too am a vanity girl. That might not be entirely true. The small and short of it is that I like to eat and if you have my body and want to eat, you must also run or you become the chubmeister. I better get running then.
Keep up the journaling!! I'm still going strong on writing mine down every night. There are just some things that I don't think I want the whole world to read - o.k more like 5 people to read.