18 October 2008

An Interesting Discussion

Last night Chuck's brother and sister-in-law came over to play Settlers of Catan with us. As I can't get into the game as much as Chuck can, I have to have conversation. This was one topic:

Who do you think knows your spouse better: you or your mother-in-law?

In our house, Chuck and I both feel that I know him better than his mom. (It's unclear whether she would agree.) But Chuck's SIL thinks that the boys' mom knows her husband better. I can't imagine this. I know that we've only been married for just less than four years, and I admit that I do not know everything that has happened to Chuck. But I feel like I know the man that he is better than his mom does. I also feel that Chuck knows me better than my own mother. He agrees.

How is it in your house?

6 comments:

Nicole said...

hmm I would definitely say that each of us know each other better than our moms. maybe that wasn't the case several years ago of course, but after being out of hte house for so long, wouldn't you hope your spouse knew you better?!!

Niederfam said...

We both know each other better NOW, than the moms, but previous to marriage, or first 2 years into it, MOMS knew better!!!! :)

emily said...

interesting indeed. and i agree with our cousins. ben's mom knew ben better as a teen/young adult - of course. i know him better as a 30+-year old man. do i make sense?

i {heart} hawkes said...

i detest that game. and i agree with emily. sometimes d's mom calls me for questions about him, i.e. what i think he would like for christmas/birthdays. i like that.

Taste of Champaign said...

this is hard. i have to think from the mother side, and think about my future DIL. i can't imagine her knowing evan better than i do--but after marriage, of course she will know things that i won't want to know about him. i will want to keep him my little man forever i think.

Taste of Champaign said...

i think j's mom would appreciate me more if i thought she knew more about him.