19 June 2007

Making Decisions

I hate making decisions. What to eat for dinner? What to do this weekend? What movie to rent from Blockbuster (does anyone actually use Blockbuster anymore or are you all NetFlickers?)? Most of the time, I'd simply rather have other people make them for me. And for those really big decisions? Well, I guess I'd rather Heavenly Father put what He sees as best for me right in front of me. I trust Him--honest I do!

Currently, C and I are faced with a whole bunch of huge decisions, and all at once. I can't figure out why, exactly, I seem to do this to myself. Let's remember late 2004. Within a period of two months, I quit my dream job, began my nightmare job, sold my cute condo, rented my crappy apartment, moved across the country, and said goodbye to my single life by marrying C. Not all changes were bad, but why did I have to do them all at the same time?

I feel like that now. We found a HUD (town-)home that is really quite lovely. The process of buying a HUD home is fast. You have to make a bid within 10 days of the listing. 10 days?! To make a decision on buying a home?! On top of that, yesterday C was offered a really great opportunity for this upcoming school year. Although this might end up being a no-brainer, it's still a big decision that could influence the entire path of his teaching career. So we've got both of these really big decisions on our plates with no clear answer as to what is the right thing. It's making my head hurt.

8 comments:

Deanna said...

I, too, hate making decisions. Especially big ones. I've definitely had those occasions of huge decisions and getting a very clear, right answer (like marrying Todd). But most of the time I feel like I'm picking for a needle in a haystack! Todd and I are trying to make some big decisions right now too, and it is so hard when you just don't feel like you are getting a nice and clear answer, or even if there IS a clear answer? Sigh. Good luck with your decisions!

Oh yeah, can you send me a link for your cooking blog? I would definitely love to join up with you guys and share some recipes!
dntodd@gmail.com

Meg said...

I totally know how you feel in the making big decisions department. We have had to make just a few lately. Sadly, it never seems to get any easier - just more complicated. Maybe that's because the decisions have greater consequence(sp) and a larger outcome on your future. The one great thing is that Heavenly Father gave you a brain and I think he intended for you to use it when he gave it to you. So, if the answer isn't coming right away, and you are praying and trying to do the right thing, I think He expects you to use the brain he gave you and make the best decision you can. He promises to stop you if it isn't right - so it's pretty much a win-win situation. Good luck!

Gretchen said...

Dude - I feel your pain. I just got back from meeting with a realtor ... and suddenly everything seems a BIT more real. Do you have a link to this HUD home? I wanna see it. Plus, if C's got a good offer and the house is one you love ... well then, I don't call that mass decision making, I call that "everything working out perfectly".

Start with the decision about C's offer. If that keeps you in MD, then you might as well proceed with the house. Since you'll need somewhere to live, right?

Camie said...

I know what you mean...I still wake up every morning sick to my stomach about moving to VA. I wish it would just happen already.

holly said...

Thanks for the comment! Of course I know who you are. : ) I'm curious to learn the blog chain that led to us! I enjoyed catching up a bit through your blog too. Let's get together in person!! (since it sounds like you're in MD somewhere??) hollytree at mac dot com

Whew! I hear you on the decisions. We're in the complete opposite spot right now though. Stuck in one place wishing we had some decisions to make!!

erinmalia said...

ha. decision one has been made. was i smoking crack when i even entertained the thought of moving to frederick?!?! FREDERICK?! honestly. you'd think i'd know me a little bit by now. but for those interested, here's the link to the house. (we'll see if my html skills hold.)

Niederfam said...

See one down one to go.........YOU CAN DO IT!!! Unfortunatley for us I think the decisions only get larger, more complex, and more costly from here on out!!!!!! AHHHH!!! I can't decide what to eat, wear, see, do, etc. etc. you get the picture.....

Ruth said...

I read the listing and can't believe that is the asking price for a HUD home in MD. You think I would be used to it but I still think it is so crazy. In PA you get a brand new house for 100,000 less. Ok, I'm off my soapbox.